CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Barbie

I promised that over these next few days I would introduce you to the Aroma team members, so if you are reading this as your first post, scroll down a little and get caught up on our testimony of God putting together this team of five ladies.

Today is a very special day for me because I have the honor of writing about my best friend. God has afforded me the blessing of having best friends at every important juncture in my life, and knowing Barbie George is no exception. I always look at Barbie and think, "that is me back when my mom was talking for me and I didn't speak a word." Barbie need not say a word to be heard, because it is the heart she has as a listener that speaks the loudest. She lets me talk and talk without saying a word, lets me get done and then just encourages me. I think that God put Barbie in my life to remind me to slow down and let it all sink in. She is one of these friends to me that can read my mind. Seriously, we can be in the same room, look at each other and know what the other is thinking. I like that about a person.
Not only that, but she makes me laugh. There's just some people who's humor you get. That's Barbie. Sometimes we just get in a "you got to bend over and laugh" kind of laugh. We always have a good time, and I think anyone that is around her will agree with me.
These last few months have been awesome to watch God work in Barbie's life. We've had many a conversation where we talk about where it is God wants to use us. Back in the day that I wrote about a couple of days ago where God profoundly showed me what my role as pastor's wife was while in Dillon, God showed me some very specific things and since then, He's just grown those in my life. Watching Barbie these last few months I have been reminded of that time when God takes a heart that is willing and He gives them life-changing things to do. No longer does Barbie have to wonder "where do I fit in?" She isn't waiting around for some lightning bolt moment, but she is digging in and loving on people in a way only Barbie can. And you know what I love the most about her? Never will you hear, "look what I did for so and so" or "that's not my job description" or "I'm too scared to try". Nope, never. Barbie serves out of the overflow of her heart. Hey, I am one life that God sent her to restore. Barbie, you will never know what your friendship means to me - to have taken this heart of mine and just loved on me when I needed it the most - well, that takes us deep, girl. I love you like my sister.
Barbie has a heart for all people. I really think she would serve just about anywhere and do a job "well done." In Aroma, Barbie has a job that is pretty much behind the scenes because she does a lot of publicity related stuff for us, but Barbie also has a ministry in Ladies' Coffee Connection. After seeing that women just need to get together and talk sometimes and let the kids run around, Barbie has organized this time just for you! She wants you to come and feel like you can kick up your feet and talk about whatever. And you know what? After spending an hour or so with other ladies, you begin to see how to pray, who has a need, and who just might need a break. Barbie does an exceptional job and organizing this. I hope that next time she does one that you will come and be a part of that time You are bound to form a relationship that you might not have expected.
Yesterday, I asked Jeff if he'd been reading these blog entries and he said he had. When I asked him what he thought about how I was introducing my team, he answered, "well, you are writing about your relationship and experiences with them...from your perspective." Thinking he must have thought that was a bad thing, I got a little defensive. He said, "no you are writing like you know them." Well, I hope this is helping you ladies reading this know them, and that something you read may take you deeper in a relationship with them. Sometimes it's just hard to trust that someone wants to serve you until you know them firsthand. We desire for you to know the Father firsthand, and I assure you that knowing one of these ladies, you will also feel as though you know the Father, too. They model Him to me each and every day.
So, get to know Barbie George. Her birthday is March 14 - that's tomorrow for all you busy people that don't know what day it is. Wish her a big 'ole Happy Birthday and give her a hug!
Barbie is married to Brian, Pastor of Missons/Administration at LifeSong. She is the awesome mom to Addie, Aiden and Austin, with whom she loves on at home each at everyday. She is my dear, dear friend - a true kindred spirit!

No comments: