CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Aroma

Well, ladies...this is the official launch of, what I hope to be, a fruitful addition to our Aroma Women's Ministry. One of my passions is writing, but my greater passion is seeing women come to Christ and to grow in the glory and knowledge of Him. God has been doing some amazing things in my life, personally, making me realize that I, too, can do amazing things through Him. Sometimes we just need a good shake back into reality. I took a little sidetrip recently where I made everything "all about ME!" I am sure that none of you have walked that road, but let me tell you, I don't like being there. Sometimes I get in a rut where I am ME-driven and make myself and everyone around me crazy. I won't say that I might not venture that way again, but that's the beauty of Christ in my life...He doesn't slap me over the hand and then move me back ten spaces, as if I were a board game, but He gently, and yet sometimes, sternly, sets me on the right path again. I know I have been called to impact people's lives - specifically the lives of women, but haven't we all been called to impact someone? I believe when we make it about us then we fail. Recently, I had a conversation with my husband, Jeff about where we, personally, find our identity. For years, I have found my identity in several things -in being a wife, a mother, a pastor's wife, or the friend of "so and so," or a missionary kid. It's so easy to get caught up in labels and wanting others to know that we are special because we have a title. I am not saying that each of those titles does not hold a special meaning, but it's easy to get caught up in it and forget our identity in Christ. Since Jeff has been a pastor, it's been kind of a joke at our house that we are not too fond of the title "Rev" or the term "preacher." It's as though you would go up to someone and say, "well, hello Electrician Joe when you approach Jeff as Preacher Jeff." That is just something that he does, but is certainly not the core of who he is, and yet we have met people and know people that are so intent that others notice them that they lift their head proudly and poke out their chest and announce their title to the whole world. Don't get me wrong...I need an identifier when I meet new people sometimes, so often I ask, "so you are the one married to the teacher? or your brother is the CEO of that company?" What I am talking about is losing our identity in that title. Boy have I done that! Of course I am so honored to be the wife of the most wonderful pastor on the planet, but that is only a small part of who God created me to be. So, recently, God set me straight and reminded me of where I find my joy, and guess what? It's not in a title, a position, or how much money I have! It's in the person of Christ! And that, ladies, frees me! I needed that good word. I try to operate by the thought that "I am not yet where I need to be" as I go about my life, but the part that got lost, and gets lost sometimes, is that I need to be focusing on where I need to be.
So, how does all of this relate to AROMA? I desire the same for you, too. As I felt the hand of God calling me to respond to Him on Sunday, I also heard Him saying, "to be an effective leader, friend, counsel, etc., you must have JOY...lead by example." I want to do that for you, ladies. As I write this first of, what I hope to be many, blogs, let's start afresh with some JOY! It's what we are commanded to have, afterall..."The Fruit of the Spirit is Love, JOY, peace patience, kindness, goodness, and self-control." We, as an AROMA team, desire to lead you in this, and we want to be held accountable when we are NOT this! We need accountability.

We are so excited about all God has for us as women. Remember, the time we have together is making us better at those titles God has given us. Don't feel guilty for having a little time to hang out with your girlfriends. Trust me, I know my husband appreciates it when I break away for a little renewed perspective with the GIRLS (No...I am not talking about my four girls :) ). So, we are inviting you if you are not already involved in AROMA...come join us! If you are coming, keep it up. We have some spectacular plans for you! Until we meet again, know we love you here at AROMA. Your team here to serve you is Barbie George, Jen Greene, Bonnie Moody, Allison Taylor, me..Amy Hickman. We love you dearly. If you need anything, let us know!

No comments: